Do you have the right to rent?

Posted on: Category: Right to Rent, Tenant News, Landlord News

From 1st February 2016, all private landlords in England will have to make right to rent checks. This means checking that tenants have the right to be in the UK.

All tenants with tenancy agreements for privately rented accommodation after 1st February 2016 will be checked by a landlord or agent to make sure they have the right to rent.

Tenants who sub-let their room will also need to make right to rent checks.

Landlords and agents will need to see certain documents, which prove that the tenant has the right to be in the UK and to make the process as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Acceptable documents include:

  • UK passport
  • EEA passport or identity card
  • permanent residence card or travel document showing indefinite leave to remain
  • Home Office immigration status document
  • certificate of registration or naturalisation as a British citizen
  • Right to rent checks have been introduced as part of the government’s ongoing reforms to the immigration system.

    For more information, please contact us.